Sunday, April 20, 2014

The start...Welcome

Hi everyone and welcome! I am embarking on something a little different here. Most people in my circle know my story/ issues/ medical problems, but I figured I might as well share my journey with others. After a half hour conversation with a stranger in Whole Foods about our digestive and stomach issues, I know that there are many others out there who share my grief.
I'm Catherine, and I have long time digestive issues, acid reflux and a gluten sensitivity. Oh yes, and I am most certainly addicted to sugar. I mean Big Time.
Here's a little history... About 13 or so years ago (maybe longer, but this is as far back as I remember) I have had problems with constipation. Prior to this I had other stomach issues such as a bleeding ulcer when I was about 14. About 8 years into my constipation issues I met with a medical Dr in California who recommended the gluten free diet as well as an herbal blend laxative called Dr. Schultze's Intestinal Formula. This worked like a charm, although pretty strong stuff as it contains aloe leaf, senna leaf, cascara sagrada and habanero peppers (as well as other items). I never thought much about the ingredients to be quite honest. I was also doing the occasional colon hydrotherapy when possible. Fast forward a bit - marriage, military life and 2 pregnancies/ beautiful children later, I still struggled with my issues (of course, much worse during the pregnancies!). After losing the baby weight and starting to feel decent about myself, by late February of this year (2014) I encountered a new symptom: my stomach suddenly became extremely distended, I'm talking like 37-39 inches. And it was/is hard. Not flabby or anything. And it was painful. Off to the Dr I went and after a basic check up she assured me that it was not "just fat" or Diastasis Recti so she referred me to a GI Dr for a colonoscopy. I was actually surprised that I had never had one done until now in all honesty. The only thing that the GI showed was that I had Melanosis Coli, or basically, I had turned my intestines completely black from my several years of use/ over use of the herbal laxative. I was then put on Magnesium Oxide (which I had experimented with before), Miralax and a probiotic. However, this did not explain the sudden distention. I then had an endoscopy, which still showed no reason for the distention. Next up, thyroid and protein tests. Nothing. Ive also been on FODMAP for over a month now and my constipation is not as big of an issue (the mag and Miralax do help). To my demise, my stomach is still just as distended and no no one can tell me why.  
Ive been doing a lot of reading about this and know that eliminating is a big key, so that's what Im going to do. Cut out my best friend. Sugar. In All forms. I think I might die, lol. OK, not really.. But that starts tomorrow, because today is Easter! 
So since Im starting tomorrow, I went and bought the book 21 Day Sugar Detox and then hit up Trader Joes and Whole Foods spending way too much money on some awesome looking groceries. Sadly, nothing sweet. I can tell you I have a problem with sugars because I am so deathly afraid to not eat any kind of it for 3 whole weeks. Literally, this is much, much harder than anything else Ive quit or given up. How sad is that though?!?! For real folks, sugar is in EVERYTHING! So, here's to tomorrow's beginning! As for tonight, I shall enjoy my Easter dinner :-) 

Catherine  

1 comment:

  1. Have you read Mary Roach's new book Gulp? Full of great information. Good luck! Love you <3

    ReplyDelete